Main countries (and requirements) offering Working Holiday Visa

with No Comments

There are many of us who dream of being able to extend beyond our vacation that journey that we have been planning so long in our head. Or those who despite being thousands of miles away in a different country, they have felt right at home and have wished to stay longer to see if that was a real feeling or just a holiday illusion. The most courageous though are the ones that simply pick up their backpack and go far away to try their luck and have an unforgettable experience.

Whatever kind you identified with, the main problems are always: paying for the whole adventure and the maximum time we are allowed to stay in a country. Fortunately, in recent years Spain has established or renewed Working Visa agreements with countries such as Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Japan, allowing its citizens under the age of 35 to enjoy a year of ‘permit’ in these countries and to be able to Work while in there to afford the longer stay.

Working Visa or, more accurately, Working Holiday Visa (WHV) varies according to each country as they are bilateral agreements. The conditions, therefore, that allow you to work and study in these countries are different and should be taken into account if you are thinking about the possibility to work there in order to be able to continue traveling with some money in your pocket. Here is what you need to know:

Australia Working Holiday Visa

Young Spaniards were until a few years ago one of the very few European nationalities who did not have access to a WHV in Australia. Relations between the two countries were thinned when the Spanish authorities did not facilitate the extradition of a wealthy Australian businessman who fled to Spain after leaving a debt of more than 130 million euros in the Antipodes. The Australian anger was huge and almost all relations between the two countries were cancelled.

Working Holiday Visa

In 2014, however, the Working Visa was reopened for Spaniards between 18 and 31 years. A permit that allows you to stay for 12 months in the country and work the whole time, but no more than 6 months for the same employer. Beyond age, these are the other requirements that must be fulfilled in order to request one of the 600 WHV that the Australian government grants to young Spaniards:

  • Have a valid passport from a country with which Australia has an agreement
  • Not having a dependent child while in Australia
  • To have about 5000 Australian dollars to subsist there
  • Also, have money to buy the return ticket
  • Not having enjoyed before a Working Visa in Australia
  • Comply with health, education and English requirements
  • Have a letter of support from your government (more information here)

New Zealand Working Holiday Visa

The Working Visa for Spaniards in New Zealand has a duration of 12 months as well, although in this case it only allows you to work 6 months and never more than 3 months for the same employer. In this case, Spaniards between 18 to 30 years old can benefit, being only 200 working visas awarded, so competition is fierce.

Working Holiday Visa

Additional requirements are:

  • Being a citizen of a country with an agreement
  • Have a valid passport with a validity of at least 3 months longer than the Working Visa will last
  • Not having enjoyed before a WHV in the country
  • To be in possession of an exit ticket of the country or to prove that enough money is available to buy it
  • Demonstrate that you have at least US $ 4,200 available in your bank account
  • Meet certain health and good behavior requirements

Canada Working Holiday Visa

Canada offers about 800 Working Visa annually for Spaniards between 18 and 35 years. The duration, like the previous ones, is of 12 months and allows you to work with temporary contracts throughout the permit.

Working Holiday Visa

Here you will find more information, although the minimum requirements are the following:

  • Be a citizen of Spain or of any country with which Canada has an agreement
  • Have $ 2,500 Canadian to cover expenses
  • Have the capacity to contract a medical insurance that covers the whole stay in the country
  • Have a return ticket or show that you have enough funds in your account to buy one
  • Not be accompanied by any dependents

Japan Working Holiday Visa

Since April 2017, young Spaniards between 18 and 30 years have the possibility to live (and work) for a year in Japan. It is the most recent bilateral agreement and allows up to 250 people to enjoy the country of the rising sun for 12 months.

Working Holiday Visa

The requirements are similar to the rest of the agreements. Here you have them:

  • Have Spanish nationality
  • Maintain a primarily holiday objective
  • Not be accompanied by dependents
  • Have a valid passport and return ticket
  • Have at least 2,000 euros to cover expenses during the stay in the country
  • To accredit good health through medical certificate
  • Do not have a criminal record

The selection processes are variable. By order of application or by drawing lots, the governments of Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Japan share travel dreams and illusion annually. At unuk we cannot think of a better way of travelling than living in countries as special as those four countries with which the government of Spain has working visa agreements. A great opportunity to experience a different culture long term in an affordable way. Who wants in?

Happy travels!

P.S: Want to know more about visas other than WHV? Check this other article out 😉

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.